Ahmed Aaref JewelrySuez · since 1986🇪🇬 العربية

HomeGold forecasts › Sunday 20 September 2026

Analytical special · method opened up

Wall Street is 100% bullish and we say range-bound — this is the anatomy of that call

There is no global session on a Sunday, so rather than republish the same numbers we are opening the box: how we arrived at 45% range-bound, 35% rally and 20% pullback, with the weight, the evidence and the source for each factor — and exactly what would make us take it back.

Spot $4,378 · Friday’s close, market shut · 21K in Suez EGP 6,400 ·

🔍 Method breakdown

🔍 Why this report is different

There is no global session on a Sunday. The ounce is frozen at Friday’s close of $4,378 until Asia opens before dawn on Monday, so any price update today would be yesterday’s number.

What follows is the same method we work by every day — the weights, the evidence and the sources — written before the week begins, so it can be graded next Saturday.

Let us be precise about the disagreement: we are not saying gold will fall, and we are not saying the analysts are wrong. The difference is not direction — it is timing and distance. They say the destination is up; we say the road up passes through a consolidation stop first. Our bullish scenario carries 35%, the third-highest weight we have ever given one. What we reject is closing our eyes to the cost of entry right now.

💰 Where things stood

 PriceReference
Spot gold, per ounce$4,378Friday’s close, market shut
24K, per gram, we sellEGP 7,314
22K, per gram, we sellEGP 6,705
21K, per gram, we sellEGP 6,400
18K, per gram, we sellEGP 5,485

Friday’s close and Saturday’s counter reset. Nothing moves until Asia opens.

The five factors, with their weights and evidence

These weights are not arbitrary. Positioning takes the largest weight because it is the only factor that determines whether there is money left to come in; the rest determine direction only.

The arithmetic. Each factor distributes its weight across the scenarios. Positioning gives 0 to the rally and 30 against; unanimity 0 and 20; the technical picture 10 and 10; oil, yields and the dollar 20 and 0; Asian demand 5 and 5. Total: 35% rally, 65% not.

And the step most analyses skip: that 65% is not all downside. For gold actually to fall it needs an additional catalyst that does not yet exist — either a Fed member confirming an October hike (priced at only 53%) or oil turning back up. Against that, there is a floor preventing a collapse: Chinese demand and central bank buying. So we split the 65 into 45% range-bound (the scenario that needs no new news at all) and 20% pullback (which needs a catalyst). That is exactly the number we published.

🎯 The result — our forecast for the Friday 25 September close

The same forecast published on Saturday, graded on Saturday 26 September on the weekly close

45%Consolidation and digestion → $4,300–$4,420
The scenario that requires no new news to happen — which is what makes it the most likely
35%Rally continues → $4,420–$4,540
Requires the yield to stay below 5%, oil to keep falling, and new money to come in. Ceiling: the 200-day average at $4,541
20%Back to the downside → $4,200–$4,300
Requires a catalyst: confirmation of an October hike or a rebound in oil — at which point crowded positioning turns from a burden into an accelerant

🇪🇬 21K expected in Suez at the end of the week: EGP 6,140 – 6,637, most likely EGP 6,286 – 6,461, assuming the currency holds.

What would make us say we were wrong

Any analysis that does not state in advance what would break it is not analysis. These are our conditions, written before the week began.

The signals that would make us concede the bullish case: a daily close above $4,450; the 10-year yield below 4.90%; reports of new money entering rather than short covering. If the first two happen together on the same day, we write in the morning report that our weighting has changed — before the week ends, not after it.

On the other side: a close below $4,320, the 100-day average, would mean the whole rebound was short covering and nothing more, and $4,235, last week’s low, comes back into play.

This is the call that became the first case in our documented disagreements record, where the claim we contradicted is named, cited and dated.

Levels that change the picture

$4,541200-day moving average — the ceiling
$4,450The close that would make us concede the bullish case
$4,420Top of our primary range
$4,378Friday’s close
$4,320100-day moving average — the line that decides
$4,300Floor of our primary range
$4,235Last week’s low

The settlement criterion was fixed before the week opened: the close of Friday 25 September, on spot, never intraday.


Sources and method

Kitco (the weekly survey, with its dated history) · FXStreet (positioning percentiles, technical levels, yields and the dollar) · CME FedWatch (October probabilities) · World Gold Council and regional premium data for Asian demand · our own published price list.

This is the condensed English edition. The Arabic edition is primary and was published first, on the day, at the same date’s Arabic page — it carries the full commentary, the conversion table and the charts. Every figure here appears there, and nothing published has been revised.

← Previous reportNext report →All forecasts